Preamble: During their four years’ journey through the under graduate engineering programme students often need mentoring, guidance and counselling from a loving elderly figure. Direct academic issues e.g. selection of electives can be easily communicated to the student. But finer nuances e.g. career options or fear of a subject/course need greater involvement of the mentor. Obviously, a student should have the same mentor all through the four years of his journey.
A similar system as discussed above, namely ‘Faculty Advisor’ exists in this college since 2005. To improve the institute’s present endeavour towards academic quality up gradation in line with NBA guidelines, it has become necessary to redefine/reform the existing system. The new system, when practiced diligently will immensely contribute in improvement of the overall academic quality. The students will be greatly benefitted by continuous expert guidance.
Mentoring System: The new process has been established as ‘Mentoring System’. Each faculty will be the mentor of a group of 20 to 25 students. First year students will have mentors from the department of Basic Engineering & Science and second, third, fourth year students will have mentors from the parent department. Departmental faculties will continue to be mentors for the same group of students till their graduation.
Responsibilities: The mentor will perform the following functions. The list of course cannot be exclusive. A mentor can always do more for the benefit of the students.
- Meet the group of students at least twice a month.
- Continuously monitor, counsel, guide and motivate the students in all academic matters.
- Advise students regarding choice of electives, project, summer training etc.
- Contact parents/guardians if situation demands e.g. academic irregularities, negative behavioral changes and interpersonal relations, detrimental activities etc.
- Advise students in their career development/professional guidance.
- Keep contact with the students even after their graduation.
- Intimate HOD and suggest if any administrative action is called for.
- Maintain a detail progressive record of the student (format attached).
- Maintain a brief but clear record of all discussions with students.
The HOD will,
- Meet all mentor of his/her department at least once a month to review proper implementation of the system
- Advice mentors wherever necessary.
- Initiate administrative action on a student when necessary.
- Keep the head of the institute informed.
Institute’s academic committee will discuss mentoring related issues at least twice in a semester during its meetings and revise/upgrade the system if necessary.
The Institute is emphasising towards enhancement of enhancing the institutional ambience to better serve the needs of an ever-changing and dynamic learning community. Effective mentoring begins with the faculty and depends on the healthy relationship between faculty and students. Department assign faculties (acts as faculty advisors) for providing guidance for each year during admission till the graduation for same batch. The faculty advisors perform the following functions:
- To maintain personal details of the students including their address, contact numbers, overall academic performance and progress. It will help the FA in monitoring the academic growth of the students. It will also help the College in tracer studies of the alumni.
- To advise the students regarding choice of electives, projects, summer training, etc.
- To counsel and motivate the students in all academic matters-direct or indirect.
- To guide the students in taking up extra academic and professional activities for value addition as a member of the society.
- To contact the parents / guardians of the students in case of their academic irregularities, behavioural changes, etc, through the Head of the Department or College.
- To advise Principal / Director of the College in matters of leave or absence, official recommendation etc.
- To advise the students in matters of their career.
In electrical engineering programme, eight faculties are working as Faculty Advisors for the students. The faculty monitors their progress and reports to teacher-in-charge. This mentoring is for over all development of the student. Faculty advisor meets the students frequently and discusses various issues including class room lectures, laboratory performances, participation of seminar / conferences and technical event, any academic difficulty faced and career development.
Type of Mentoring done are:
- Professional Guidance - regarding professional goals, selection of career, higher education.
- Career advancement - regarding self-employment opportunities, entrepreneurship development, morale, honesty and integrity required for career growth.
- Course work specific - regarding attendance and performance in present semester and overall performance in the previous semester.
- Lab specific - regarding Do’s and Don’ts in the lab.
For the Department of Electrical Engineering
Number of faculty mentors: 16
Number of students per mentor: 25
Frequency of meeting: Weekly (preferable) or Need based
Resolution of Academic Committee Meeting [Ref. No.: NSEC/AC/15/02/ dt. 12/03/2015]: The existing Faculty Advisors system is changed to Mentoring System